A Brief History
The Institute was established in 1859 in the top floor of the Ballarat Fire Brigade in Barkly Street. On the 28th September, 1860 a foundation stone was laid at the rear of the present building.
According to the Ballarat Star a crowd of 10,000 people attended the ceremony.By 1869 the Institute consisted of four floors, shops on the ground floor, a grand entrance with a library on the second floor and a museum on the top floor.
The Ballaarat Mechanics’ Institute has a long history of providing a multitude of services to the Ballarat Community. This currently includes a Lending Library, a Heritage Centre, Rooms for hire and functions such as recitals, talks and other special events.